Share this Post
OWNERS: CRAIG & MAGGIE COPPENBARGER
1. Briefly describe Coffee Sknobs and the products/services offered.
We love a good cup of coffee and a perfectly pulled shot of spro. This is what we wanted to bring to the area. We wanted folks to experience excellence in coffee paired with a yummy made-in-house pastry while nestled in a welcoming environment.
2. How did you get started as a small business owner?
It felt like a calling. We wanted to provide excellent espresso and a welcoming place for airmen, and even young wives, away from family. We wanted to support our community and to be a connection spot.
3. What was your mission at the start of Coffee Sknobs and has that mission evolved over time?
We are military. We have been away from family. We have felt the loneliness that comes with not being connected. It is too easy to stay in and not get out, but that is not where relationships are formed. We made it our mission to be a connection spot for mil members and their families during the time that they are stationed here. We continue to see singles meet at our open mic nights and at gatherings that happen throughout the week. We continue to see mamas with littles meet up here with other mamas. We love being a part of this area. We wanted to be as close to the gates as possible! We wanted to be in the heart of downtown. This is such a sweet place to live and do coffee!
4. How many employees does Coffee Sknobs have?
5. What is unique about Coffee Sknobs?
We use volunteers to help run our operations!
6. How much time did it take for Coffee Sknobs to earn a profit?
It took us a couple of years. We had a few volunteers at first and that really helped us out financially.
7. What has been a significant challenge that you have faced and overcome as a small business owner?
Higher prices and shortages of products are a couple of the most recent things.
8. As a small business owner, how do you measure success?
Numbers is always a way. But when we hear about people that have come from other bases saying that they had heard about Sknobs and love it too, that feels like a pretty big win as well!
9. What do you like most about owning a small business?
Two things to share about, but so many more-
Our staff! They are amazing. I love seeing how this calling turned into something bigger than what I thought for because of the support we have behind the bar.
Our customers who feel like friends! And our friends can even feel like family. Military families can learn to make connections quickly. And we even love to hear from customers reaching our after they have moved on! This community is very welcoming.
10. What piece of advice would you offer to new entrepreneurs?
Start with the end in mind. Instill in your staff an ownership. Pray.