Small Business Success in Johnson County, Missouri
Share this Post
PHOTO GYM, LLC
604 N MAGUIRE ST, WARRENSBURG, MO 64093
OWNERS: KATHY & DAN BALDRIDGE
1. Briefly describe Photo Gym, LLC and the products/services offered.
At Photo Gym we help people preserve, protect, share and enjoy their photos and videos by providing scanning, printing, organization, backup solutions, classes and one-on-one training.
2. How did you get started as a small business owner?
Like most people - on a wish and a prayer!
3. What was your mission at the start of Photo Gym, LLC and has that mission evolved over time?
Our mission is to help people with photos and videos find peace of mind in the knowledge that their family's story will be accessible to them and the generations to come.
4. How many employees does Photo Gym, LLC have?
5. What is unique about Photo Gym, LLC?
Though some other companies offer all that we do in the way of services, what makes us unique is our membership. We have preservation stations our members can use to scan their own prints, slides and negatives. We help them get started, create a personal photo fitness plan for them and then show them how to use the equipment to preserve their own photos and videos.
6. How much time did it take for Photo Gym, LLC to earn a profit?
I'm still waiting, I think this might be our year! We have been trying for 5 years but COVID-19 was prevalent during 2 of those formative years so our hope is for our profitability to grow now that people are getting out doing things more.
7. What has been a significant challenge that you have faced and overcome as a small business owner?
COVID-19 was the biggest challenge so far. But we also moved in 2020 and that was a challenge of logistics, finances and coordination.
8. As a small business owner, how do you measure success?
I feel we are successful when we are able to help people reach their goals for their photo and video collection. It can be daunting for our clients to get started with what feels like an overwhelming project, when we are able to instill confidence in them and help them to take that first step, I think we have succeeded.
9. What do you like most about owning a small business?
I enjoy the challenge of finding new ways to help people with photo and video issues. It's interesting to hear the stories they have to tell about their memories and help them enjoy and share those stories.
10. What piece of advice would you offer to new entrepreneurs?
Take the time to make a business plan. You will be glad to have it to refer to when you are in the growth phase of your business and are trying to decide which thing to do first.